Klepon: Sweet Rice Cake Balls with Palm Sugar
Posted On April 9, 2021
In the wide spectrum of Indonesian dessert offerings, one sweet treat stands out for its delightful taste and vibrant color: Klepon. This traditional delicacy is made from glutinous rice flour, stuffed with a heart of melted palm sugar, and rolled in freshly grated coconut. The vibrant green color is derived from pandan juice, giving these sweet rice cake balls not only an appealing look but an aromatic flavor. The experience of biting into a Klepon, releasing the sweet gush of palm sugar, is a culinary moment that will transport you straight to the tropical islands of Indonesia.
- 200g of glutinous rice flour
- 100ml of pandan juice
- A pinch of salt
- 100g of palm sugar, finely chopped
- 150g of freshly grated coconut
- In a mixing bowl, combine the glutinous rice flour, pandan juice, and salt. Knead the mixture to form a smooth dough.
- Take a small amount of the dough and flatten it in your hand. Place a bit of the chopped palm sugar in the center, then fold the dough around the sugar, sealing it completely. Roll it into a ball shape. Repeat this process until all the dough and sugar are used up.
- Boil a large pot of water. Drop the balls into the boiling water and cook until they float to the top, indicating they are cooked.
- Remove the cooked balls with a slotted spoon and roll them in the freshly grated coconut.
- Let the Klepon cool before serving, as the palm sugar inside will be hot.
In conclusion, Klepon is a charming dessert that encapsulates the tropical essence of Indonesia. As you enjoy these sweet rice cake balls, you are not only indulging in a tasty treat but also taking part in a rich culinary tradition. When preparing Klepon, remember that fresh ingredients are the key to a delicious outcome. Use freshly squeezed pandan juice for the most vibrant color and aromatic flavor, and freshly grated coconut for the best texture and taste. Equally important is the quality of palm sugar you use. Opt for dark, richly flavored palm sugar to get the signature gooey, sweet filling that makes Klepon so irresistible.