Tempeh Goreng: Fried Tempeh with Sweet Soy Glaze
Posted On March 12, 2022
Indonesia, a country known for its rich and diverse culinary heritage, is the birthplace of a unique and delightful dish called Tempeh Goreng. This sumptuous dish features tempeh, a protein-packed soybean cake, fried until golden and crispy, then coated in a delicious sweet soy glaze. Tempeh Goreng is a satisfying and healthy alternative to meat-based dishes, making it an excellent choice for vegans, vegetarians, or anyone looking to add more plant-based options to their diet. With its enticing blend of textures and flavors, Tempeh Goreng is sure to become a favorite for anyone who appreciates delicious and wholesome food.
- 300g tempeh, sliced into 1 cm thick pieces
- Oil for frying
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 red chilies, deseeded and sliced
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 2 tbsp regular soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Chopped spring onions or cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Fry the tempeh slices in batches until they are golden brown and crispy on both sides. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan to ensure even cooking. Remove the fried tempeh from the oil and set aside on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and remove all but 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the minced garlic, shallots, and sliced chilies, and sauté until fragrant and lightly golden.
- Add the sweet soy sauce, regular soy sauce, tamarind paste, palm sugar, and water to the pan. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the fried tempeh slices to the pan, gently tossing them in the sauce to ensure they are evenly coated. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, allowing the tempeh to absorb the flavors of the sauce and the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Transfer the Tempeh Goreng to a serving plate, garnish with chopped spring onions or cilantro, and serve with steamed rice or your choice of Indonesian side dishes.
In summary, Tempeh Goreng is a delicious and nutritious dish that showcases the versatility and appeal of Indonesian cuisine. When selecting ingredients for this dish, it is essential to choose fresh tempeh, which should have a firm texture and a pleasant, slightly nutty aroma. Additionally, using high-quality soy sauce and authentic Indonesian sweet soy sauce (kecap manis) will significantly enhance the flavor of your dish. With its delightful combination of textures and flavors, Tempeh Goreng is a fantastic option for anyone looking to enjoy a tasty and wholesome meal that will leave them craving more.