Satay Ayam, a popular Indonesian dish, is a delightful gastronomic experience that combines the smoky, charred flavor of grilled chicken skewers with the creamy, indulgent taste of peanut sauce. This dish, which is often served as a street food in Indonesia, has found its way across the globe due to its distinctive taste and the simple pleasure of eating meat off a stick. Satay Ayam is not just about the taste, but also about the process of preparing and grilling the skewers, making it a fun and interactive dish to cook and serve.
- 500 grams of chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 20 bamboo skewers
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bruised
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- For the Peanut Sauce:
- 200 grams of unsalted roasted peanuts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 red chillies
- 2 tablespoons of palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste
- 1 cup of water
- Begin by soaking the bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Marinate the chicken cubes with salt, sugar, coriander powder, turmeric powder, minced garlic, chopped onion, and vegetable oil. Let it rest for at least 2 hours or overnight for best results.
- Thread the chicken onto the bamboo skewers and set aside.
- To prepare the peanut sauce, blend the peanuts, garlic, chillies, palm sugar, tamarind paste, and some water in a food processor until smooth. Transfer it to a pan and simmer over medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Grill the chicken skewers on a preheated grill, turning them occasionally and brushing them with the bruised lemongrass stalks for extra flavor.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked and has a nice charred surface, remove from the grill and serve with the peanut sauce.
In conclusion, Satay Ayam is not just a dish, it’s an experience. It’s a culinary journey that introduces you to the vibrant and diverse world of Indonesian cuisine. Select fresh, high-quality chicken for the best results, and don’t be afraid to adjust the level of spice in the peanut sauce to cater to your personal preference. The joy of Satay Ayam lies in its simplicity and adaptability, making it a dish that you’ll come back to time and time again.